Sony, the world’s leading gadget company, launched its newest Android tablet called Xperia Tablet Z at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Spain. It has been said that this tablet is the world’s thinnest tablet having the measurement of approximately 10.1 inches, with thickness of 6.9 mm, and weight of 495 grams only. Compared to iPad which is 9.4 mm thick and Nexus 10 which is 8.9 thick, reports say that Xperia Z Tablet is the slimmest tablet by far. It is even thinner than the 7.2 mm thickness of iPad mini.
Specs of Xperia Z Tablet
Although Xperia Z Tablet is said to be a petite gadget, it is packed with technological capabilities that makes it competitive enough in the tablet bandwagons. Here are some of the specifications of Xperia Z Tablet:
- This tablet is built upon the design principles of Sony’s Xperia Z Smartphone, which means that both have similar “OmniBalance” component in a different form.
- Xperia Z Tablet supports Google’s Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean Operating System).
- It has a high-quality 8 megapixel built-in camera and records 1080p video
- Exmor-R mobile sensor and 2MP front snapper
- 1,920 x 1,200 Full High Definition User Interface powered by Mobile Bravia Engine 2
- Quad-core 1.5 GHz Snapdragon S4 Pro Chip
- It has a slot for micro-storage device
- 32 GB internal memory space
- 2GB RAM
- Supports Near Field Communications and LTE Connectivity
- This tablet also has Wi-FI Connectivity, Bluetooth device, and sensor for infrared.
Other Features of Xperia Z Tablet
Although Xperia Z Tablet has a slim design, petite design, don’t be fooled by its sleek design. It has a battery that is packed with a powerful 6,000mAh with STAMINA mode. This technology in Sony batteries enhances standby time.
It has also been reported that this high-performing slim tablet is water-resistant and it can last underwater for about 30 minutes without any damage done on the gadget. Sony claims that Xperia Z Tablet has the highest resistance to water damage compared to any tablet. Tablet Z also has an IR blaster so that it can be used as a remote for other gadgets such as television, DVD players and Blu-Ray device players. This tablet has an IR blaster that can work accordingly with the Sony app called “TV SideView”. This special app has the ability to communicate or connect with the cable provider of the user, thus making it possible to browse Tv programs through the tablet. Then, after choosing a program within the app, the user can just swipe it toward the television, then the cable box will automically tune itself to the program or the channel the user have chosen.
According to Kaz Tajima, Vice President and UX Creative Design Head of Sony Mobile Communications, Xperia Tablet Z highlights the aim of Sony to be the leader in Android market. Reports say that this gadget will soon be seen in European market around April of 2013. It is said that its 16GB version will retail around $499, while the 32GB will retail around $599. Users may choose between two colors, black and white.